Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The bike

The endorphins really kicked in tonight as I experienced the sublime pleasure of healthful exercise as I pedaled over quiet country roads in Maryland. Every fiber of my being feels alive on a good bike ride as the stresses of everyday life fade into the rear view mirror. I wish more people could experience this. Perhaps there would be more understanding from motorists, wrapped so tightly in their mechanized, four wheeled cocoons, if they just could experience the ride. If they could feel the road beneath them, really feel it, as the wind rushes through their hair, and hear the sound of birds winging to a new destination, and see the blue sky without the plexiglass interference, then they might know peace. Maybe they could see the cyclist, who KNOWS that feeling, not as a freak in tight pants and a helmet, but as someone to be respected. The road calls to me, and it is my fervent hope that more people will come to know what I know. For peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment